Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Choose the distro: Mandriva 2005 LE

At the time of my installation ( end of July 2005 ) only Mandriva 2005 LE has been able to detect my SATA HD . I have tried Debian (testing), Knoppix, Ubuntu without succes, probably now the situation could be better.

0) Backup all you data!
1) I have resized my disk partition for a dual boot with Windows XP SP2 and Linux.

Windows : sda1 - 27.0 GB - NTFS
Linux Swap: sda5 - 1.8 GB - Linux Swap
Linux Root: sda6 - 63.0 GB - ext3

I think you could make the same work with dedicated software.

3) Reinstall Windows following the Sony procedure
4) Start with the Mandriva 2005 LE.
4.1) Insert in your cd/dvd ( first disk )
4.2) Reboot the machine
4.3) Follow the instructions
4.4) Enjoy!

I have to say that the installation procedure of Mandriva has been one of the more easy that I have ever seen for a Linux distro.

1 comment:

rzr said...

Hi,

I have a friend w/ a similar laptop, he screwed his powersupply and thought about useing the battery plug to power it.

But can help him, and tell me the voltage on a charged battery on each pin ?

Regards
--

http://rzr.online.fr/q/viao